Infopath form to Nintex form for a beginner

Badge +2

I have never used forums before (yes I'm not just a newbie to Nintex but to forums as well) and am having difficulty finding my needs through this one.  Program Management, Lean Six Sigma are my main skillsets, but I am currently in a position that requires Nintex skills (and recognize I should develop them to round out my overall capabilities anyway).

I have mostly used SharePoint for document storage, and in the past had a Sharepoint administrator assigned to handle the workflows. I changed jobs and after a few months the person working the Sharepoint workflows left and my boss put me in the position. Long story short I need to take a form that was made by someone in MS Infopath a long time ago, and remake it in Nintex (with all of the connections/functionality). I learn reasonably fast, but am having some struggles. Everybody loves the functionality of the InfoPath form template, but A) it is the only form we have that is in InfoPath, B) updates need to be made to it that nobody knows how to do, C) if I mess-up the existing form without knowing how to fix it all of leadership will less than happy with me.  I have attached a doc explaining what currently exists (which I must remake/transition with changes). This form template is for someone (from one of 3 group options) to condense notes from meetings for example and publish/store them as an Executive Summary (EXSUM) for leadership in a specific output format. Using this tool ensures the right people have the info at their fingertips for their use or distribution (and in repository), without emailing copies.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

10 replies

Badge +16

Welcome to the community!

Can I suggest that you get your farm administrators to take you and make a copy of the site for you somewhere else so that you can work on this.  Nintex forms is clever enough to look at the list columns and build a form as a starter for you using the columns and mandatory settings on those - then you can make changes from there.

Looking at your attachments it all seems well within the realms of possibility that you can do just the same with Nintex forms.

Let me know once you have a copy and have clicked the link to edit the form in nintex forms.

Badge +2

Cassy,

I am on the Nintex Forum site and logged into a copy sharepoint form site the Sharepoint administrator setup for me recently. Thank you

Verry Respectfully,

Russell (Russ) Houck, LSS BB, CISSP

NES Associates, LLC

Enterprise Services and Cyber Operations

Badge +16

OK great so if you have a copy site then nothing that bad can happen, right?

So what you want to do first of all on the copy site is go to the list you need the form on and choose this button from the ribbon:

This will present you with the out of the box version of the form - see how far from your requirements that is?

Badge +2

Ok, done.  It has "imported" the settings from the InfoPath form on its own.  I need to make some not huge, but significant changes.  Should I focus on altering what it generated, or somehow make it a completely new form?  My administrator assured me the site he setup for me is a  safe "sandbox," with copy and pasted data and columns from the working section of the SharePoint site for my benefit.

Badge +2

If its alright I would really prefer to work this as a fresh form, from the ground up.  Thank you

Badge +2

I have transitioned from emails to replys in the forum. Is that ok?

Badge +16

yes that is absolutely fine!

Badge +16

It hasn't taken your InfoPath form, it has taken your list settings (i.e. your column names, column types and whether they are mandatory or not).

I would suggest you just alter what it has produced for you to save time?

Badge +2

Sure. That sounds great.

Badge +5

‌, I'll send you a direct email, and we will take care of you offline. :-) Closing the loop...