Update SharePoint Group Name

• 30 January 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

Hey all,

I am creating a workflow to create, delete or change SharePoint groups. Within this I got to the point to use the "Call Web Service" action to update the (SharePoint) GroupInfo:

Web method: "UpdateGrupInfo"

In this workflow action I inserted the relevant URL, User credentials and web method.

For the "Web Service Input" fields:
I used the "oldGroupName" as a string (no variable used)

"groupName": also a text was inserted
"ownerIdentifier": no input
"ownerType": no input
"description": no input

198004_pastedImage_1.png

I do not know if these 3 fields are required fields to get the right SP Group but I always get an error message after publishing and using this workflow.

Error message after testing via "Run now": "The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error."
Error message by list item workflow: "Failed to invoke web service. Error returned from server"

Does anyone know how to configure such workflow action to change the Name of a SharePoint Group?

Thanks in advance happy.png

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Do the credentials you are using to invoke the web service have access to make changes to the group name?  That error sounds like a permissions issue. 

Badge +3

Yes, the User which is used as credentials is the group owner of my test group.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ownerIdentifier and ownerType fields have to be provided as well

Badge +3

how do i get these information?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ownerType is simply one of user or group

ownerIdentifier is a user that will set as group owner. you can either set it up on your own or you can get existing owner with GetGroupInfo method

Badge +11

You can also have a look at the official reference for this method: UserGroup.UpdateGroupInfo Method (websvcUsersGroups) 

And in case you need to fetch that information inside your workflow dynamically, you can use the GetGroupInfo method of the same web service: UserGroup.GetGroupInfo Method (websvcUsersGroups) 

Badge +3
@emha - How would you set up the action to get the existing owner using GetGroupInfo? Could you walk me through the steps?