Copy Item with User Action (optional fields)

• 22 August 2017
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

I have a requirement to build a copy item feature that copies an item from List A to List A.  However, the caveat is that the user would like to "select" which fields to copy.  For example, the form has 20 fields, they would like to select which of the 20 they want to "keep" and copy / create new item via something like a check box

My initial thought was to store the source items columns in WF variables and then use the Request Data feature to have the options listed to select (checkboxes).  What happens next is where I get lost.  It's my understanding that the values would go to a Task list that Request Data users which can be a temporary holding area.  From there, I would then copy the values back to List A but not sure how it would work or if it's even possible.

Thank you Nintex community! =)

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'd suggest little different approach.

this way user is asked immediately when he performs a copy action what exact fields should be copied, and not later on with task.

- create a workflow start form and place there Yes/No check checkbox for each of field in source list.  connect each control with a respective workflow variable.

- then within workflow simple check whether given variable/checkbox has been checked to decide whether value should be copied or not

Badge +3

Hi Marian,

Thanks for the answer!  However, I think that may require Nintex forms?  I only have Workflow at this time, however my organization my purchase Nintex forms in the future.  Thus, I am trying to make a little magic with the "Request Data" action item, if possible.

Badge +3

My apologies ‌!  I wasn't aware of the workflow start form option!  That was gold and works as a temporary solution until we have Nintex Forms!  I got a proof of concept working, thank you!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

great!

yes, nintex workflow can integrate with other forms solutions for workflow start form or task form.

with nintex forms the concept will be just the same, you will just get different designer and different forms look and feel experience.

Badge +2

Hello Marian, 

Do you have any examples of how this is achieved? I'm a bit lost on all the steps. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

no I don't have any example at hand.

could you start new question and explain what exactly is not clear for you resp. what you'd like to implement?

Badge +2

Thanks for replying Marian. I've posted the new question here