How to merge several sharepoint lists into one master using workflow

Badge +2

My objective is to have one master sharepoint list (that I can export to excel).  The files that would merge would be found on several different sub-sites.  The reason for this is, is due to data information access.

1 - is it possible to have each sub-site list send a copy (& update) to a master list and keep this list updated? Using workflow?

2 - or is it possible to have a master list obtain information from all of these sub-site lists? and have it run on a schedule (for example once a day? or even atomically?)

which do you think is the best approach?  how would I build this?

please note, I am fairly new to sharepoint and nintex.  I also am not allowed to use sharepoint designer.

thanks for your help.

Tom.

7 replies

Badge +16

there is also a cool content aggregator product in Lightening Conductor web parts that would do the same for you.

Badge +2

thanks Cassy.  Unfortunately my system blocks me from downloading all add-ons! sad.png

Badge +2

Thanks JC.  I thought about something similar to that.  once again im fairly new and half of what you just said only makes sense to me 50% lol.  I also tried to investigate how to limit a view of a sharepoint list by a permission group.

for example

entries made by users in predefined permission group "USERS A", would only be allowed to view items entered by others in their permissions group.

I had no success figuring this out.

I will investigate your methods above.   and first look up the word "metadata" and see what that means lol.   if you could provide me with any other help that would be great.  it seems like you know what you are doing.

thanks!  wish me luck! lol

Badge +16

metadata is data about data - so effectively your list or library columns.  if you have a master list and a workflow on that you could use the "set item permissions" action based on what the fields in the item equal.

Badge +16

what are your business rules for permissions the items in the master list?

Badge +2

thanks! I will look into this!

Badge +2

its intended only for reporting.  so only view from an admin.  the sub lists permissions have specific user group contribute for each list.