Disaster Recovery Topology

• 12 October 2007
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

I am working on a design which requires a highly available solution on one site and a hot DR environment on another site. So I figure I can setup a load balanced environment on one of the sites with a SQL Cluster. Setup a K2 server on the other site with a SQL server that mirrors from the cluster.

How would I failover my K2 infrastructure in this scenario?

Also, is there any reason I have to use Microsoft NLB or can I use a layer 4 switch to perform load balancing across the K2 servers?

Thanks

2 replies

Badge +3

Hi Jem,

Yes you can use hardware to do the load balancing.

For fail over you can look into controlling the
fail over via DNS, running all your services involved on virtual address, the
NLB and web Apps + Services. In the event of a failure in the main site you can
then switch everything over by changing the DNS records.
Badge +9

There would be something to consider when using SQL 2005 mirroring for the replication.  SQL 2005 mirroring in general is based on log shipping technology, it replicates in real time the transactions that occur on the primary server.

The downside is that the various databases are not kept in sync (they are closely in sync but not exactly).

This means that you need to manually rollback the transactions to a specific point in time to ensure database consistency between all the K2 databases and also the application databases.

For a true cross site solution, you probably need to look at a geo-cluster solution (EMC) which spans a SQL server cluster over two sites using a high speed link and two EMC SANs.  This is a true hot DR solution.  The flip side is the high costs of the solution.  On the K2 server end, you can create specific NLB clusters with different DNS virtual names, this allows you to configure the routing when one site goes down.

I hope this info gives you a better idea on configuring this.