Strings - when spaces aren't spaces

• 19 October 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge +2

Hi,

I've got a 3 separate lists that update a 4th stock list. All of the workflows update the stock list by performing a lookup on a text string in the list.

My issue is that when combining variables, sometimes a space isn't actually a space. If you look at the text and string values, they look identical. The only way I finally figured out what the differences were, was to paste the strings into MS Word and turn on the special character mapping. Have a look at the attached image.

The first line is what is displayed in SharePoint, Notepad and so on. The second line is if I open the developer tools and copy the text out of the source code.

All variables are formated as text strings, all the related columns are text strings, everything is text. I build the variables by either setting a variable to a column value, then a space, a hyphen and a space, and then a second column.This is where it randomly puts a space in which corresponds to the 'degree' symbol in the screenshot. If I build the string with a calculated column, then it's just a normal space.

Does anyone know why this is happening, and more importantly, how to stop it?

This is Nintex Workflow 2013 and SPS 2013, both on premises.

Nigel

** edit **

It's apparently the symbol for a non breaking space. Why is Nintex sticking them in for me, and how do I stop it? http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=60109

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what are datatype of columns you join together? it might be the NBSP comes already from sharepoint.

what workflow action do you use to build string?

designer sometimes understands space as NBSP.

you can get rid of NBSP by trim() or replace() functions