K2 Events Process Integration firing twice in one environment

Badge +5

Good Afternoon,

I have an issue where I have a process that fires on a SharePoint Events Process integration event when a list item is updated.  In my development environment everything runs correctly.  However I just deployed to test and the process executes however it appears to be firing twice.

Does anyone have any insight on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Jesse

15 replies

Badge +6

Hi Jesse,

I have seen this one before. This might help:

SharePoint Event integration is controlled by entries in hidden lists on the root of the site collection. The only way to get to it is to use SharePoint Manager 2007 (Get it here http://vspug.com/keutmann/2007/01/27/sharepoint-manager-2007-update )

When opening the site collection, navigate to the lists. In there you will see lists with name in format '_GUID'. In the list properties there is a URL that can be used to browse the list in IE. 

By comparing these lists and their entries you might find there are more than one entry for your list/process. Delete the one and it should only fire once.

HTH

Badge +5

Thanks for the direction, I had been focusing on my document event receivers to no avail.  It doesn't appear that there are any duplicate items within the list.  I browsed and there only appears to be one entry for my process. Are there any other suggestions?

Badge +4

Is this a document library? If so, you may want to do some testing on if duplicates exist when an item is added/created versus when an item is updated. As a second item to check; I have seen process duplicates when a document library was modified by SharePoint Designer.

Badge +5

It is on a document library, however no changes were made via SharePoint designer.  The process works as expected in my Development environment with only one process firing off but in my test environment the SharePoint events integration fires twice creating two process instances. 

Badge +6

Weird... Maybe there are 2 event handlers bound  to the library.

You can look in the SharePoint content database for these:

SELECT   *
FROM         EventReceivers
WHERE   [NAME] LIKE 'K2%'

The 'Data' property shows the process name to be started.

Badge +5

Thanks for the continued support.  I executed the SQL statement as suggested and there appears to be only 2 event receivers one for Updated and one for Updating as is the case in my development environment.  I originally thought it was the event receivers being registered twice as well but I went back and removed all associations and re-registered but the problem still persists.

Badge +6

ARGH!

Do you see the event receiver firing twice in the Windows Application Event log?

Badge +5

Tell me about it!  Nothing seems to make sense, but that is why its a problem I guess :)  Yes, I do see the SharePoint Events Integration for ItemUpdated firing twice in the Windows Application Log.  I also see 2 instances being created at the same time within the K2 Workspace.

Badge +4

Is "Require Check Out" enabled on the list? I'm grabbing for straws ;-)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939307

Badge +5

Sadly no, "Require Check Out" is not enabled.  

Badge +10

I really thought Conrad had the issue nailed as that happened to me before and his solution worked.

Can you test to see if  in the same site if you can get the K2 event to only fire once on a new document library?  If that works then if you're running out of options you might want to try deleting and recreating the document library. 

In one situation I had to do that for the entire site and restore it from backup when I couldn't track down the root cause of an underlying SharePoint (not K2) problem.

Badge +4

I concur with timkn. Usually this indicates a SharePoint issue and not a K2 problem. I also would recommend trying to deploy to a new document library on the same site. If this still does not work, try recreating a basic workflow that is started by item updated, and deploy to the same document library you are having issues with. Work your way out to a new document library if the problem still exists. Try creating the document library from scratch (not based on a template).

Badge +6

I'm also out of ideas...

Badge +5

Thanks for the help guys I'll try your ideas and let you know my progress.

Badge +5

Thanks for the help.  I saved my document library as a template then deleted the existing library.  After I recreated the document library based on the template I no longer experienced any problems.  This solution works fine for Test I'm just hoping I don't have any similar issues in Test because then I'll have to figure out a way to keep all of the content.