Approval scenerios

• 15 November 2016
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +3

Hi,

I have one approval workflow that starts a process, that has two approvers, however, these two approvers are not always required.

Here is the scenario:

1.  Approver A and Approver B needs to approve

2.  Only approver A needs to approve

3.  No approver needed or in other-words Approver A has already approved

Currently, I have a selection whereby Approver A can select already approved. Now,  I have to add Approver B, which creates a 3rd scenario.

I have tried several different actions, but no luck.  any suggestions?

Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I would suggest to use state machine.

add state machine into workflow and configure 3 states (branches) for it.

- 1st state - default one. here you will decide whether approver A should approve or not. if yes, change state to Approve_A, if not end state machine

- 2nd - Approve_A. withinin this state design the process for approver A. at the end decide whether approval from Approver B is needed or not. advance state machine according that.

- 3rd - Approve_B withinin this state design the process for approver B. once approved end state machine.

if you are not familiar with state machine action, search through the forum. there a plenty of discussions on the topic including good examples.

eg one of them  

Badge +3

thank you for this response. Unfortunately, I do not think it will work because there is a State Machine in the workflow currently running.  The location of this approval scenario that I need to add is in the 1st state.  Once that 1st state is completed it then go to one of the other states, dependent on the outcome. 

any other suggestions?

Thanks, again

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

you should be able to nest state machines without any problem.

give it a try!

and BTW, once you have such complex scenario it's worth of consider to move part of the workflow with nested state machine or even whole superior state machine's branch into separate workflow...

Badge +11

I definitely agree with using a state machine. They come in handy with situations like this.

Badge +11

Please send us a screenshot of your workflow currently. The state machine should work.

Badge +3

Hello and thanks for your advice. I tried several times and ended up with setting up a condition for the 3 scenarios.