Is anyone using ADAM (Active Directory Application Mode)?

• 15 August 2006
  • 4 replies

Badge +13
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/adam/default.mspx

4 replies

Badge +8
I know of at least K2.net solution that uses ADAM because (for security reasons) the existing AD structure cannot be accessed.

There is a user manager component for ADAM available - please contact your local K2.net office for more information on it.
Badge

I had this question during training. Can you go into a little more detail on how it would work? Is there simply a way to point a K2.net 2003 environment at an instance of ADAM?

Thanks for the additional information.

Badge +8

<quote>Is there simply a way to point a K2.net 2003 environment at an instance of ADAM?</quote>

Unfortunately, Active Directory and ADAM are not an exact match (for example: methods and property names are not consistent between the two), otherwise this would have been possible.

To enable a K2 2003 implementation to point to an ADAM instance, you will need to copy the ADAM User Manager assembly to the K2 Server and workstations in your environment and change a few configuration entries to tell K2 to use the ADAM user manager instead of the standard AD user manager. There are also a few config entries which will tell K2 where to locate the ADAM instance. All this is documented in the ADAM guide. So in short, yes it is possible, yes it is fairly simple but no, it's not as easy as just pointing a K2 instance to ADAM.

A great thing about K2 is that the user manager component is pluggable, which means that you could write your own user manager which points to whatever data source and replace the standard AD user manager with your own. Provided you've implemented the correct interfaces and methods, it should be fairly straightforward.  Both the ADAM and SQL user managers are examples of this in action.

Just a note on BlackPearl: it also allows for using a custom user manager, so you should also be able to swop out user manager components or use multiple user managers.

Hope this helps

Badge
Great, thanks. I'll check out the ADAM guide for future reference.