approval from general email

• 20 March 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi All,

This one has me stumped so here's my issue.  I am sending an approval notification using Assign Flexi task to a text variable that has a general email address in it as plain text.  The issue is that when a specific user who is monitoring this general email attempts to approve using the notification they receive a permissions error.

In retrospect the error makes sense to me since it's expecting an authenticated MOSS user and instead it has this general email address which will not match the actual user attempting the approval; however, I am still left with a need to send this Assign Flexi task to a general email address and then, somehow, enable any of the team members monitoring this general email to then complete an approval action without either specifically adding them or creating a group which would defeat the purpose of the generic email, to begin with.

The only thing I can come up with is to create another workflow that automatically does this and replace the Assign Flexi task with a simple notification.  Then, somehow, include the link to this new workflow and just have the user click on "Start"...of course I've no idea how to actually accomplish capturing the URL of the newly created workflow that would need to be manually started.

Maybe you guys know how to do this or have a better design idea to address my issue?

Thanks

6 replies

Badge +8

Hi Gary,

Your requirement does seem a bit different, I am not even sure why you would not want the user to not access the site, is the users (general email) sole objective just to approve/reject?

If yes please have a look at Lazy approval feature of Nintex, with this the user can just approve/reject based on email text and would not need to login to the system (hence avoid any authentication)

Regards,

Shrini

Badge +3

Hi Shrini,

Thank you for your response.  Also, to clarify, it's not that I don't want the user to acces the site it's that I don't know who they are.  These particular users are involved in back office activities and any members of this team can therefore potentially complete the approval.  I have subsequently requested the email addresses for these user so that I could maintain them as contributors to the site.

Badge +3

I have something similar, not a flex-task but it will do the same, my scenario is a task could be completed by 15 different people, the problem I had was adding the SharePoint Security Group that I used for this task emailed everyone but each day 3 people were responsible for these requests and the next day it would rotate. I got around this by making the task not send a email notification and create a separate notification with the workflow url; the task is still assigned to the group but the notification is sent to the shared mailbox;

201365_pastedImage_1.png

Start will a parallel action, on the onside create you flexi-task,

1.Under Action add the security group to the assigne, create variable (TaskID as a Integer) and assign to Store task ID in.

2. Under task notification select 'None' for the Delivery Type;

On the next branch start with a pause, this will allow for the task id to be created (I have mine set to 3 minutes)

1. Build a string (create text variable called TaskUrl)

When configuring the string you will need to open up on of the task to get the primary url; add it to the text; where I have highlighted you will want to remove the ID Number associated with the task you pulled it from and replace it with your Workflow Variable TaskID

201366_pastedImage_2.png

Store the results in the TaskUrl variable you created

Now you can create you notification to the shared mailbox,

My body I just created a 'link' Click Here and for the address used the TaskUrl variable.

tested and works great for me.

Badge +3

Tim,

First I want to thank you for replying.  Also I was wondering if you would clarify something you state, "1.Under Action add the security group to the assigne, create variable (TaskID as a Integer) and assign to Store task ID in." and I am not sure what you mean by "Security Group"; however, I suspect the goal of this step is to capture the stored task id in a variable for later use in building the string.  Assuming this is the case then I could instead simply create a dummy variable and assign it there.  Also, and I understand if this is asking too much, I was wondering if you could export your .nwf file and share it with me directly.  I think actually viewing each of your object's configuration would greatly assist me in understanding your design.  Thanks again 

Badge +3

Sorry for the delay, I have upload the workflow

Badge +3

If I understand your needs properly, you want the notification of the flexitask to go to a common/ shared mailbox and thenensure anyone that could solve the task to be able to complete the task.

Here is how I resolve this.

I have Active directory group lets call it "FlexiTaskReciever" which is a mail enabled Universal security group.

Members of this group is "Shared mailbox user" and another group, lets call it "FlexiTaskCompletedBy" which is a Domain Local group and it contains all those user that can complete the task.

Then i just use "FlexiTaskReciever" as assignee on the task.

When workflow runs email notification is sent to shared mailbox and rights to the task item  is assigned to "FlexiTaskCompletedBy" group and thereby the members.