When do you use \Start Workflow\" vs \"Call web service\" to start a workflow?"

Badge +9

I've been using "Start Workflow" to start other Nintex Workflows. Sometimes a notice that workflow seems to pause and wait--even if I don't ask it to wait.  I'm just not sure I understand when to use "Call web services"

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Stephan,

One way to think about it is that a lot of actions act as convenience methods of carrying out something you would otherwise have to do by calling a webservice.  Many find interacting with configuration pages easier to configure than interacting with raw webservices.   People usually default to using Web Services if they can't achieve what they want to do with using the out of the box actions.  For example, if I were inside of a Site Workflow but I wanted to start a workflow on a list item I could opt to using a Webservice to make that happen.  I oftentimes like to think of the out of the box actions as wrappers around Webservice functionality that make them easier to use.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know about this.  Otherwise if you could mark the answer as correct we can close this one out.

Thanks!