Asynchronous Server Event in a Synchronous IPC Child process.

• 6 October 2009
  • 2 replies

Badge +8

Greetings everyone,

I have a parent process, let's call it Process1, Parent process has two tasks, Task1, Task2. Task1 is an IPC event. It starts a process called ChildProcess. Now , Child process has an Async server event, So that means this process is never completed as this Async event keeps it active.

I want Task1 to wait for Childprocess to complete all the tasks except this Async server event and then move on (It would be similar to Synchornous IPC event).

I know normal IPC Synchornous event will not work in this situation because Child process is never completed,

I was thinking In parent process, Make task1 an Async IPC event and after Task1 there would be another task called "Wait here". This event will be an Aysnc server event. This will make ParentProcess process1 wait, Once Child process is done, it will call ParentProcess and will finish "Wait Here" Async server event.

Any other ideas guys ?

2 replies

Badge +11

Are you saying the asynchronous event will never complete or it does not complete within the time frame you want the other process to continue? 

You can cause the asynchronous event to complete using either the GotoActivity or ExpireActivity API call within that same process.

Badge +8

Hey David,  child process does not complete within the time frame and i cannot expire it or use goto as i need these Async server events. We have Async server events in all of our processes. These events help us to get back to the same instance if user wants to. I finish all the processes once Order Is complete.