Solved

change SmartObject to Advanced SmartObject?

• 19 October 2018
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

I created an application using a SmartObject for the data.  Now my manager would like me to change it to store and pull data from a SQL Server table.  Can I create a SQL Server table, then change the SmartObject to an Advanced SmartObject and point to the table?  Or will it cause errors with my views and forms?  I know I would have to change the methods for creating and updating the data. 

I don't expect any data to transfer from the K2 SmartObject to the new table, I just don't want to have to recreate the entire application.   Thanks for any input. 

icon

Best answer by tbyrne777 19 October 2018, 20:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes, this should be a seamless change - as long as the SmartObject retains the same property and method names, you won't have to change a thing in anything that consumes it after switching it to point to a new table.

Badge +15

Your workflow and form reference your SmartObject via its Name, Guid, and method name. If all of those remains the same, then it should be fine. But don't take my word for it. I will recommend you create a backup of your K2 database before attempting anything. That way if you screw up, you have something to fall back on.

Thanks.  I'll try it and see what happens.