Having Cascading Dropdown Issues

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Folks,

I have a Leave Form and I am trying to get a cascading dropdown setup working so that I can basically double filter a lookup. there are plenty of resources for this here but I cannot seem to get mine working. There are a couple of subtle differences between mine and the examples but nothing I would expect to cause the filter to fail.

I set up a dummy solution to reduce any extraneous complexity in my production form from getting in the way.

Example for is very basic... Just the default content and two list lookup controls

Basic Form Layout

The first control successfully looks up an employee name from a list on another sub site.

Employee lookup control configuration

cont...

Employee lookup control configuration cont...

The next lookup control looks up the contract period from a TimeBank where an employee's available leave is stored and filters off of the FullName result of the first lookup control.

Contract Period lookup control configuration.

cont...

Contract Period lookup control configuration cont...

The issue I am having is that the second control does not filter. The list connections seem to be working because when I select filter by specific value on the control and enter a known FullName, the form filters by that name.

Here images images of my results.

This form was based on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx5q31FZF9g (Create a Cascading Drop Down in Nintex Forms for SharePoint) after seeing in in a post recommended by Cassy Freeman‌ and Marian Hatala‌.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Patrick

15 replies

Badge +7

Hi, 

Add a calculated value control with Formula:

parseLookup(llu_Western_Employee) and name it for example calcCtrl.

For llu_ContractPeriod control, filter by calcCtrl instead of llu_Western_Employee

BR,

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I guess FullName list field is just simple text field, isn't it?

what exact forms version are you on? I recall some version(s) had problems with source view defined on lookup control.

can you maybe try without source view?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Yes, simple text.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Philip Warrak,

I followed you instruction and the "cv_parseLookupWeserners" control (the name I chose as I have about 30 calc value controls on this form) is successfully populating as soon as an employee is selected from the "llu_Western_Employee" list lookup control. The "llu_ContractPeriod" list lookup control is still NOT populating.

Also, I have confirmed that the FullName in both locations (TimeBank and tbl_Westerners) are identical on the test user I am using.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

have you tested without source view as I advised above?

have a look on release notes - 2.9.1.0, 2.9.2.0, 2.9.3.0 - all of them address some bugs with source view defined for lookup control.

you likely hit some related bug.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Marian Hatala,

Sorry. I did not answer that. I did see the release note issues about source view. I tried it without source view and it still does not work. As a matter of fact, the original issue happened without source view and I added a source view to see if it would work that way.

Regards,

Patrick

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok.

have you checked developer console whether there are not reported any errors during form load or once you change selection in first dropdown?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Marian Hatala,

Nothing in the Dev console.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok, let's try following:

- add a calculated value control and set its formula to: llu_Western_Employee (named control reference)

- add next calculated value control and set its formula to: 

lookup('TimeBank|/ASP','FullName',parseLookup(llu_Western_Employee ,true),'CP',true)

check whether results of 2nd formula. how does it evaluate? does it return values expected to be populated to second dropdown/

you change selection in first lookup you may watch developer console, lookup() function should write there CAML that queries for data from TImeBank List.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Marian Hatala,

I made the changes.

Here is the configuration of the first Calculated Value control...

Here is the configuration of the second...

Here is an image of the output when the first lookup was activated...

Here is the dev. console output...

Is it possible that the "81;#" at the beginning of the first calculated value control output is causing the issue?

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Patrick

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Marian Hatala,

A colleague was looking over our messages here and noticed an issue with the last suggestion (Thanks Bob O'Malley!). I changed...

lookup('TimeBank|/ASP','FullName',parseLookup(llu_Western_Employee ,true),'CP',true)

...to...

lookup('/ASP|'TimeBank','FullName',parseLookup(llu_Western_Employee ,true),'CP',true)

Now I get the following results in the calculated value controls...

Here is the developer console output...

Thanks Marian!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
A colleague was looking over our messages here and noticed an issue with the last suggestion 

ops, sorry for that.

I typed it just off top of my head...

so, lookup to the second list itself is working properly and it seems to be a problem/bug with lookup control.

configuration of lookup controls seem to me to be correct as well.

if you have chance, you could test it on different version, but I would recommend to raise it with Nintex Support‌.

they will very likely direct you to make upgrade, but there is a chance they may know a workaround to make it working with your version.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Marian Hatala,

Thanks for your assessment. I built a very simple dummy site with similar but simpler lists and no reach to other sites. My issues are the same so it is unlikely that there are other levels of complexity impacting my problem. I will reach out to Nintex Support. If an update is required, the wheels turn slow at a company our size.

Now, do you know of an alternative method to filter by multiple values? I must populate my main form with the contents of a list that has several records for each employee. It is a Time Bank so each employee has a record for the first contract period (base year or "BASE") and each subsequent option period (Option Period 1 or OP01, OP02, etc.). An employee will go into the leave form and either auto populate the current user or if they are submitting as a proxy, select the employee from the first lookup. Then, they will select the Contract period (CP). Each employee is provisioned with an allotment of leave and sick time for each contract period. When the CP is selected, I want the Available leave data to auto populate. Auto populate is figured out and working with a single CP but I need it to discriminate as to the CP.

Thoughts?

Cassy Freeman‌: I know you are out there... Chime in if you have any ideas! happy.png

Thanks and Regards,

Patrick

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Marian Hatala‌, Philip Warrak‌, and Cassy Freeman‌: I am going to mark this as correct and start a new question so that this will not confuse folks searching for solutions down the road. I will mention you folks in the next question.

Badge +16

Still catching up - send me a message if you need me!