K2 Process Design Help Needed

• 18 December 2004
  • 1 reply

Badge
Hello Everyone,

I am creating the process with the following workflow:

1. Our BizTalk system will send messages into K2.
2. We have a group of about 10 users that have access to work on these worklistitems. A user, using a WinForm GUI (accessing K2 via K2ROM) needs to "check out" the item. Once they "check out" the item, it becomes exclusively accessible to them.
3. They update the process data via the user interface and finish off the task (k2Rom.process.finish())

We also need to write reports to provide the following:

"real-time" reports

How many items currently exist in each user's worklist groupable by a piece of process data. (Each item has a particular status of why the user is working on the item - we want to group items by this value). Also, on this report we need to know how long has each item been "checked-out"

Processing time for completed items (broken down by user, process data, and date process has been completed.

I'm thinking of writing the following process.

The first activity has a single default client event. It posts to a destination queue containing all users. When the user "checks out" the item, the system will "redirect" the worklistitem to the user, and finish the activity.

The next activity is called "user's queue" and basically has one default client event as well. At this point, however, I don't know how to put the item on the correct user's worklist. Normally I'd add it to the "Originator's list", but in this case the originator would be the user running Biztalk.

Is this the most efficient way to do this process? It feels like a lof of overhead. The reason I broke this into two processes is because I wanted to keep track of how long the user had the item "checked out".

What do you all think? Am I on the right track? Competely offbase?

Is there any samples I could reference for creating custom reports to display within the K2 workspace?

Thanks fo much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Damon

1 reply

Badge +2
Hi Damon

Could you please elaborate on the reasons that you would not want to use the native 'Slots' functionality in K2? If you have only one slot, but many destinations, and a person opens the worklist item, it will be removed from the other destinations user's worklists.

In terms of custom reports - you can browse the K2 knowledge base for articles on how to use the K2 Reporting Web Service. The KB is available through the K2 Portal at portal.k2workflow.com.

Emile