K2.Net Server Multiple Instance

• 28 October 2011
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I'm sure I already know the answer to this but is it possible to run multiple instances of K2.Net Server 2003 on one Windows Server box? For example, have Server 1 running on port 5252 and Server 2 running on port 5253. I haven't encountered anywhere that you can 'name' a K2.Net server install so I'm guessing that you can't. Can Blackpearl do this?

Cheers,

Richard.

3 replies

Badge +10

I haven't seen anything official saying you can't but I'm pretty certain that its not possible in either k2.net 2003 or blackpearl.  Even if it was possible it wouldn't be supported.

I'm curious what's the scenario that you would want that type of functionality?

Note that K2.net 2003 and blackpearl does support Network Load Balancing running on separate physical servers or in different virtual machines on the same server.

Regards

Tim

Badge +1

Hi Tim,

We were looking at running different environments, e.g. current production version, next intended version, scratch development area, for a customer. I was looking to see if K2 could have multiple instances on one machine to support this in a similar way to having multiple SQL server instances on one machine.

Cheers for your help anyway.

R.

Badge +8

Nope, you can only have 1 instance. The K2 server binds on port 5252 (and this is not user configurable) so you are limited to a single instance on one machine since the port cannot be shared by multiple applications.