Comma in Text Field always multiplies number by 10

Badge +2

Hello all,

I am facing a behavior which in my opinion is more of a usability issue than a help:

I have a text field (single line of text) which is connected to a SharePoint Column defined as Number, with 2 decimal places. Whenever I input a number such as 1000,5 the number is transformed automatically into 10005. Validation and regular expressions do not seem to work to stop this behavior. When using a dot however like 1000.5, the number is correctly stored as 1000,5. Is this somehow related to the locale of the site I am in or is this a Nintex setting that I can turn off? My users are getting really pissed because over here we do not use the dot for separating decimals but the comma -> you can imagine the problems this is causing.

So does anybody know which setting is responsible for this and how I can turn this off?

5 replies

Badge +8

Hi Razvan,

If you try changing your column type from number to currency in SharePoint and then select the format of the currency for your particular locale then SharePoint itself would validate how the format of the currency should be.

Regards,

Shrini

Badge +11

I don't believe you are supposed to be entering commas in a number defined field. If I'm not mistaken the commas will automatically appear for you. Does this have to be defined as a Number field. Why not keep it a text field and then use Reg Edit or Replace()?

Badge +2

Hi Shrini, thanks for that idea, I will give this a try although my requirement is that no commas or dots or whatever should be accepted as an input value. Basically I want integers happy.png Is there no other way to do this but to use currency? It has 4 digits accuracy after the decimal point, I don't really need that kind of precision.

Badge +2

Hi burkslm, actually you can - I am actually experiencing this behavior and it is quite acceptable when you need the decimal precision. However I do not need these, basically I need integers. Validation with regex does not "see" the comma  [0-9]+ even if it is there - quite weird behavior.

Replace is a good idea, however I consider this to be basic functionality and it should be doable without JavaScript. If nothing else works I suppose I will have to give that a try.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

not sure how did you test, but regular expression definitely rules out dot and comma characters

206539_pastedImage_1.png

206540_pastedImage_2.png

206541_pastedImage_3.png