Exchange 2007 SMTP error

• 17 August 2009
  • 4 replies

Badge +13

We just upgraded to use Exchange 2007 SMTP over the weekend, it is running fine for other emails but I did get 2 random errors below when sending SMTP email:

This was fine with Exchange 2003.   Anyway the issue is random and repair it works fine, just wondering if you've came across this.   I searched Google but didn't find any definitive answer.

'This is with .NET 2.0's SMTP client.   Default timeout is 100 seconds.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.mail.smtpclient.timeout%28VS.80%29.aspx

Dim objMsg As New System.Net.Mail.MailMessage
        Dim objSender As New System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient

Service not available, closing transmission channel. The server response was: 4.4.1 Connection timed out

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8
Where any changes made to hardware or network setup when Exchange 2007 was installed? I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I know that IPv6 has to be installed to use Exchange 2007. My only trouble I have ever had with Exchange and K2 was the Exchange Server's spam filtering technology would not allow the server emails to pass so policy adjustments had to be made.
Badge +13
Random error still exists (which is fixed by a try/catch - resend), but hardware definitely changed from 32-bit to 64-bit VM for Exchange 2007.  
Badge

I also have a similar issue, did you find a solution?  Script worked in 2k3 but once I upgraded to 2k7 it no longer works.  Any additional help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruinfan77

Badge +13

If it doesn't work 100% of the time then you need to add the authentication machine in Exchange 2007.  Talk to your Exchange admin about security.  

I ended up sending to a different smtp receiver and that worked fine.   I haven't tried pointing back after Exchange 2007 SP2.