K2 Blackpearl Load Balancing using F5 LTM

• 13 October 2010
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi, 

Hoping that someone will have already been thru this experience and be able to share their learnings with me.   We've recently setup a load balanced K2 Blackpearl environment using F5 as the loadbalancers and are in the process of doing some performance testing.  What we are finding is that the performance is terrible running through the F5s... an example is that the avg time for one of the transactions bypassing F5 is 1.5 secs.  When running via F5 it's avg.ing 21secs.

Initially we didn't have the TCP Lan optimised profile applied and after applying that we saw a reduction in the timing to between 5 -10 secs for the same transaction which is still way to long.  At the same time this is causing a flow on effect of loading the CPU on the K2host server to 27% cpu, where the same transaction load was using 10% CPU without F5 during the baseline tests.

We had one of our comms teams do a tcp dump on the traffic and his comment was there was a signicant number of TCP Window Size update requests when running via F5.   We have tried altering the profile to turn off RFC1323 TCP Performance enhancements and this didn't appear to help things along any.

Trawling thru the documentation for Blackpearl there's no mention of Load Balancing other than the Microsoft NLB.   

Question:  Has anyone else successfully load Balanced K2 Blackpearl using F5 or any other LoadBalancers?  and if so was there any special settings configuration tweaks settings required to get the performance to acceptable levels. 

Thanks in Advance.

Brent

2 replies

Badge +5

Hi Brent,

How do you have your affinity/persistance for the F5 configured?  I know there is a setting called "source_persistance" which would essentially mean every session by a user will for the duration of the session hit the same server, maybe this helps somewhat.

Also, on which update of the product are you currently?  I've never seen issues with load balancing and performance, but this is now the second time in as many days that I've seen the question of performance and load balancing and it raised somewhat of a concern with me.

Other performance issues I've seen of late were all resolved doing this http://k2underground.com/forums/p/12752/37357.aspx#37357, unsupported by K2 of course as it requires direct db edits, but it has been logged.  The table where the group providers get stored is here, K2HostServer..GroupProviders and can easily get recreated by running the 'Activate All Features and Settings' via K2 for SharePoint tab in Central Admin.  It might be worth a shot but like iMentioned unsupported so if you do try it please backup the db's.

Regards,
Frikkie!

The statements and opinions made in my postings are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of SourceCode Technology Holdings, Inc. or its subsidiaries. All information is provided as is with no warranties, express or implied, and grants no rights or licenses.

Badge +1

Thanks for the quick reply Frikkie,  We don't have source affinity turned on in this particular environment as we only have the one server participating so I can rule out that.   I've passed on the link to our K2 developer and will report on progress.