Issue with Snippet in Site Collection Reusable Workflow Template

• 28 July 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

I have one site collection that I'm working with. Under the root site I have a Departments web and under that I have an SP Training web. My end goal was to have a site collection reusable workflow template that I could use across multiple Announcement and Event lists based on some common fields. Per recommendation in this article (Nintex Reusable Site Collection Workflows are Sweet - Viewpoint - Rightpoint Consulting ), I created a list workflow in the SP Training web as follows:

• Added an action set, dragged the workflow actions into it and saved the Action Set as a Snippet titled "Item Approval Action Set"
  • Published the list workflow and tested it on the list to ensure it worked.
  • Created a New Site Collection Reusable Workflow Template
  • Added the "list workflow" to it from "My Snippets" > "Item Approval Action Set" section of the Workflow Actions.
  • Lastly I published the site collection reusable workflow. See attached image "Nintex-SourceWF"

I've had to make a few changes to the workflow since initial publish and never had any issue. Steps include:

• Update the list workflow
  • re-save the snippet and overwrite existing
  • Publish list workflow.
  • Go to "Manage Site Collection Reusable Workflow"
  • From there, I would delete the existing Action Set and re-add it from My Snippets. Then Publish that version.

The issue I'm running into is that I have two "Update list item" actions in the workflow based on custom field: "Item Approval" with three choices: Pending / Approve / Reject. When I maximize the action set, I see that the "Update list item" action is not configured (however, in the source "list workflow" these are configured correctly).  See attached image "Nintex-ReusableWF"

When I try to change the values to Approve or Reject for Item Approval field, the only fields that display are "Content Type" and "Title". None of my other fields, namely "Item Approval", show up - see attached.

I'm confused as to why this worked several times before, but not now. Should I have simply created Site Collection Reusable Workflow from the root site? I thought using my list was better as it has several shared fields that I need in the workflow.

4 replies

Badge +1

I should probably add one other note. When I created the initial list workflow, I used the All Content Types option. Reason being is that I am running this workflow on both custom Announcements and custom Events lists that share a few custom fields.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi Beth,

A quick thought is that the issue is the content type you are using.  I would think that behind the scenes, it's trying to find all the fields that are common to all content types, and Content Type and Title are the only ones that happen to be common to all.

If you were to build this for a specific content type, like Announcement, you'll probably find you see other fields and your Update Item actions is configured.

cheers,

Vadim

Badge +1

That worked. I created two new workflows - one for my custom Announcement content type and one for my custom Event content type. Both are functioning as expected. Thanks for your help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

So glad that helped happy.png