Workflow status not updated

Badge +3

I accidentally deleted an item from the list which was associated with a Workflow which would update status field.

Before deletion of the item, the status was approved. 

After i restored the item it reads "Pending for approval" which is the initial status.

How can i correct this? As starting the process all again is not allowed and would raise a lot of questions with multiple approvers involved.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Does your workflow run on creation or on modification? And does it start conditionally? Can you not just change the status yourself?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

is it your custom status column or workflow's status column?

if former case you should be able to change status by hand.

in the later, you can temporarily add set workflow status action at the very beginning of workflow followed by end workflow action.configure set workflow action to change workflow status to desired status.

let the workflow run so that it resets its status and then remove both actions.

Badge +3

It runs on creation as well as modification.

Yes, I can change the status by myself. But, this is all about approvals and who it is approved by. Until and unless it is approved by an authorized/designated person, the request would be invalid. There are multiple levels of approvals involved and restarting the WF/approval process is not an ideal thing people are looking for.

Badge +3

it is a custom column and not a WF status column.

Manually changing is not recommended as it would raise a lot of questions again.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

as far as I understood the item has already been approved and this is some exceptional state you need to resolve.

what's the concern then?

so that your name do not appear in version history?

then you have only option let the workflow run with credentials of approver. either let him go through whole process and approve once again, or some kind of 'short way' as I depicted above.

Badge +9

Hi Marian, is there a way that the workflow status code can be changed behind the scenes without having to change the workflow and re-run.. and end the workflow? I'm having the same issue and I only need to change the status on few list items. But I'm not comfortable to change the workflow in Production given that anybody can create/submit a record at any time!

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'm not aware of any other (easy) way.

but suggested approach doesn't need to end/stop existing running workflow instance(s).

once you change and publish workflow, running instances will become instances of  'previous version', and you can run new current workflow instance in parallel.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi ‌, did you resolved this? can this be marked answered?

Badge +9

I understand that it will be the previous version. I'm talking about new ones created. I ended up applying that solution at midnight just hoping that no ones will create one at that time. I changes workflow status + ended workflow.. 

(Just saying, the application is for nurses and people who work on shifts around the clock and submit items on cell phones, so there is no really specific work hours that I can avoid). I hope in the future that we can find a better way to do this.. 

Badge +3

Nope, I had to re-run the Workflow.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

ok.

but as I've explained above, I'm affraid this is only possible way (maybe apart writing some dedicated code)