Database Level Encryption and Smartobjects

• 2 December 2014
  • 3 replies

Badge +10

HI all,

Before I go hands on just looking for some advice. Does the SQL Server Service support database level encryption.If I have a encrypted database or encrypted column in a database does using the SQL Server Service service type to expose this table support this.

I was thinking maybe creating a custom service object which will take care of calling the encrypted the databse and readig and writing data and then exposing the decrypted data via the servce object and build a smartobject on top of that service object. Is there a better/quicker solution than this?

Thnaks in advance

3 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

If you have impersonate authentication for that particular service instance, you should be able to retreive the encrypted information.

With regards to K2 SmartObjects an encrypt properties option exists for SmartObject property encryption. It can be enabled from the K2 Smartobjects tab in K2 Studio. Please see this link for more information:

http://help.k2.com/onlinehelp/k2blackpearl/UserGuide/4.6.8/webframe.html#Reference%20-%20SmartBox%20Settings.html

Regards

Peter

Badge +10

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the link you sent requires me to use smartbox as far as I can see, which Im not using. But on the first point, I have full rights on the database and the SQL Server service instance type is running using the same credentials. When I go to the service instance using the smartobject tester, the property is not visible. I set the property type to varbinary as that is how sql stores encrypted data. When this is set then the property is no longer visible.

Badge +5

Hi,

Did you ever get a solution to this? I need to encrypt at DB level but can't see an easy way.

Thanks.