SharePoint Form Library Columns and InfoPath Integration

• 1 April 2009
  • 2 replies

Badge +3

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone knows how to expose created columns in a Form Library when working with the InfoPath Integration Process in K2 Studio?

Looking through the help files I can see instructions for other processes, but not the InfoPath Integration. I have some calculated columns in the same form library that my InfoPath form is published to and I would like to reference them in a Mail event.

Many thanks

Mel

2 replies

Badge +8

Hi Mel,

Firstly calculated fields are not currently supported in K2 blackpoint.  This is something that we are looking at addressing in a future release.

With that said however the InfoPath process wizard does not expose form library colums because the form is not technically stored in SharePoint.  When you submit a form to K2 the data is sent directly to K2 and not saved in SharePoint.  As you move through the process temporary forms may be stored in the form library for client events but they are deleted after the task is completed.

Now if instead of having the submit option on the initial form (basically not starting the process with the form) but rather have the event of saving the form into the form library kick off the process then you would have access to the meta data fields.  To do this run the InfoPath wizard per normal but use the "start without infopath form" option.  Then run the SharePoint event process wizard and bind that to the new item inserted event of the Form library.  Now when a form is saved to that library it will kick off the process and give you access to the document meta data.

I hope that helps.

-Eric

Badge +3

Thanks Eric

I understand what you're saying. For this particular form I would need the submit button available because saving a form doesn't enforce mandatory fields or validation, also I configured the submit to name the form automatically using a standard naming convention.

I can see that BlackPoint really changes the way you develop an InfoPath form. It's very difficult to work with a complex existing form which has already been designed to use SP Designer/WF.