How to display a drop down list as an empty

• 21 November 2014
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

Hi All,

There are 2 drop down lists(ddl1,ddl2) on my view, The ddl2 data will change based on the ddl1 selection. I achived this, witout any issues.

But if i didnt select any data on ddl1,  the ddl2 has to display the empty dro down.

Can i know how can i do this????

Regards

Srinivas Kondapalli

5 replies

Badge +2

Hi,

how are the two ddls related? Did you use the parent join?

If so, I would suggest to remove the dependencies between ddl1 and ddl2. Instead define a rule (when ddl1 is changed) and then populate ddl2 with data. You can then use a condition to check if ddl1 is empty to remove all entries of ddl2. I've used this a couple times and it works pretty well for me.

Best Regards

Sebastian

Badge +6

Hi Sebistian,

Thanks for your reply.

i followed the below approach.

when ddl1 is changed

if ddl1 contains a value

then popluate ddl2 list control with data configure(I mapped the destination parameters)

Can you giev a detailed way of approach which you followed.

Regards

Srinivas Kondapalli

Badge +2

Hi Srinivas,

sorry for my late reply.

1. Add the rule "When ddl1 is changed" then populate ddl2 with data
  2. click on configure (the action)
  3. ddl2 has a SMO as data source so that you can configure the populate ddl2 with data action appropriately.
  4. map the value from ddl1 to the SMO method where you need it

I hope that helps you.

Best regards

Sebastian Kolder

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi,

Check your initialize rule, by default the dropdown lists are populated on initialize. Disabling or removing these rules from the initialize rule will render the dropdown as empty. Note that you then have to call the populate rule when the fires dropdown lists has been changed in order for the second dropdown lists to be populated upon the first dropdown lists changedSelection.

Otherwise if you are referring to the following scenario then this will require that the data source bound to the second dropdown lists be unpopulated which is not a feature currently available.

Scenario:

The second dropdown lists is populated with values based on the option made in the first dropdown lists, if the second dropdown lists has been populated and you select the blank option in the first dropdown lists then you require that the second dropdown lists should be empty.

I suggest logging a support feature request ticket for this.

Kind Regards,

Raymond

Badge +10

I know this post is from a few years back, but did this get resolved?
I have the exact same situation happening on a set of 3 drop downs that are all llinked.
User picks a region, populates a team.  User picks a team it populates a facility.

When the form initializes the only drop down that has values is the region.  If you select it and then select the null value all of the other drop downs still have values in them.  I need them to clear out.  They are linked on the SmartObject Datasource by the ids.

I've tried a clear method and a transfer data with the check box on the drop downs and can't get it to work.