Filtering dropdowns correctly from one list.

• 2 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

may be that I did not understandig correctly the function of a cascading dropdown. I see only examples where more than one dropdown is used, but every dropdown is showing data from an other list.

So may be that there is a solution for my problem:

I have created a custom list lets call it "DocItems" containig (amongst other fields) 3 columns: a number column "Number" and 2 single text line columns "Name" and "Version". No one of the mentioned colums contains unique values. Only the combination of the 3 values has to be unique. This is solved by a workflow. That means there can be more than one item containg a  '101' in column "Number" and also a "Description of XY" in colum "Name" as long as column "Version" has different values.

A second list "DocOders" has a Nintex form for odering items from the above list. Per order only one item from the list "DocItems" can be selected. Therefore I have created a form with 3 dropdown fields "Number", "Name" and "Version". Other fields are containg data of the odering person. No column in this list is defined as lookup column.

As long as I do not use any filter every dropdown shows all data correctly. But that is not the solution I want to have.

The first dropdown "Number" has to display all available items every time so filtering this dropdown is not necessary.

But if I now want to filter the dropdowns "Name" and/or "Version" by the value selected in the first dropdown this dropdown has no data after the first value is choosen. So if the user chooses "101" in the number field and there are 4 records containg that value, I expect that the second dropdown shows only 4 records with the title.

Can anybody explain what is the reason for this behavior? Why is this not possible? Is there a solution or workaround?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Kind regards

Martin

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

yes, that's the typical use of cascading dropdowns.

but if properly configured, it can be used the you outlined.

let's have a lookup list where we read items from (aka. your DocItems list)

211904_pastedImage_1.png

then single dropdowns on the other list's form might be configured as folows

1st one

211905_pastedImage_2.png

2nd one

211906_pastedImage_3.png

3rd one

211907_pastedImage_4.png

runtime

211908_pastedImage_5.png

211915_pastedImage_12.png

211916_pastedImage_13.png

211917_pastedImage_14.png

211918_pastedImage_15.png

Badge +3

Hello Marian Hatala,

thank you very much for that example. That is exactly the behavior that I expected.

So I build this example on our environment exactly with exact the same values. I want to find out where I have made a mistake. But here the example does not work.

So may be that there is a fault in the configuration of our environment. I have to talk to our admins...

Kind regards

Martin

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I do not think it has anything to do with admin settings.

could you post you list and form settings?

have you managed to make a cascade with at least two dropdowns?

have you checked developer console - do you get any errors?

Badge +3

Hello Marian Hatala,

thank you for your message.

I talked to our admins and they have another Nintex Instance running. There the cacading dropdown are working.

So we have two different releases: : Nintex Forms 2013 ( 2.6.0.0 ) here the dropdowns don't work correctly and Nintex Forms 2013 ( 2.10.1.0 ) here they work.

Here https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1161 is also a description that problems are found in the version 2.6.0.0

May be that this info can help other users also, who are running into the same problem.

Kind regards

Martin