Email to a Custom List

• 9 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Hi,

I'm looking to build a Helpdesk ticket system for a client, They insist that tickets must be submitted by email. I know you can email certain types of list and libraries content, but a custom list isn't one of them. Obviously there must be something that Nintex leverage to do LazyApproval and I didn't know whether this could be leveraged for this purpose, or am I going to have to go down the event receiver route?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Ryan Greenaway​ -

I would ask what is the intention of the email. Is it all free form or is there a "form" that they have to follow? This seems like a major headache when a quick form submitted to a list would answer all the asks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Jesse McHargue​,

The system is a support desk system. They introduced a system where users could simply email in and receive an automated email. They have trained their users to submit relevant information. They have a large mobile workforce and they're on Blackberry's still so email really is the easiest way to submit a ticket.

I've seen that you can submit to announcements lists so I'm wondering if there is a way I can "hack" that list and content type to my requirements. Once the item is created I can workflow the rest of the process and have a form in place for the support desk, so really just need a way of getting the users to be able send an email, which should give me the body of the email, the sender and the time submitted which is essentially the only information they want at this time.

They want to reduce the number of systems they have so doing away with the support desk system and implementing something on SharePoint would be a good start for them.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

I ended up using the hack here. Take a list that you can email into and change the content type.

As long as the Title and Body columns exist it works. Obviously only for On-Prem at the moment.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

Flow looks like it would fill the gap for SharePoint Online now. I will experiment and see.

Badge +2
I know you wrote this ages ago, but I'm hoping maybe you remember what content type you changed the document list to. I'm thinking this "hack" is still going to be the best way for me to achieve the same goal you started with, so I wanted to give your solution a try.