External Lists SP2010 - Smart Objects

Badge +2

We are trying to create a smart object from external list. The smart object creation works fine but it doesn't show external columns. The only fields available are BCS Identity and link to item. Is there a way to map external columns in Smart object ?

4 replies

Badge +6

Please see the Documentation:

Concepts > Integration > SharePoint > K2 for SharePoint 2010 > BCS > External List and Column Data in K2
Concepts > Integration > SharePoint > K2 for SharePoint 2010 > BCS > SmartObject Data in External Lists

Badge +2

From the documentation External List and Column data in K2 

"K2 ensures that interactions with external lists and external data columns look and feel as if they were standard lists and columns throughout the K2 platform.  This allows for external list and external data column support in process design via list item wizards (Create, Edit, Delete, Copy and Get Item Reference) and list context browsers.  Additionally, external lists and external data columns can be enabled via K2 SmartObjects using the same tooling as standard lists"

The above does not seem to be the case. If I go to SharePoint smart object creation page and select my external list it does create smart object but it doesn't expose any of the external columns as properties. We are currently using 4.6 Blackpearl.

Badge +2

Interesting. This external data list is connected to Oracle. I used BCS MetaMan from Lightning Tools to create BCS file. I just tried an external list based on SQL server created with SPD2010 and columns are mapped as properties in smart object.

Badge +2

We resolved this issue. The issue was caused by spaces in external columns names caused issues with property mapping in Smart Object creation process. I had the dba redo Oracle view without spaces and was able to use the create Smart object from site settings within Sharepoint to generate smart object.