Default Client Event --> Notification

Badge +5

Hello,

I enabled the "Would you like to send a notification of the event to the Destination Users" in Default Client Event of an activity. (Event Type: Web form)

When the activity executes, the task is correctly assigned to me. (I can see it on the worklist), but I do not get a notification of some sort. (in K2 2003 this was an email?)

Also, when running the report Event Instances, I can see that the destination is "K2Server", and not my username.

Any help on the above ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

22 replies

Badge +11

Hi Nicolas,

I suspect you've got the Activity which contains the Client Event set to 'Plan just once'.

Open the Destination Rule wizard of the Activity. Click on Back Button.  Select 'Run this wizard in Advanced Mode'. Click Next.

Change from 'Plan just once' to 'Plan per Destination - All at once'.

Re-deploy and test again.

HTH,

Ockert

Badge +5

Hi Ockert,

Thanks to your tip the tasks is now assigned in the report to the destination user.

The advanced mode wizard included some steps that reminded me of Dynamic Queues in K2 2003. Is this correct ?

I didn't receive an email notification though, must I add next to the Default Client Event a Mail Event ?

Nicolas

Badge +7
You have to drag and drop an email event to the activity, and following the email event wizard.
Badge +9

NS,

You are correct in that the Advanced Mode > Plan per Destination option is very similar to how K2.net 2003 Destination Sets worked.

As for task notifications, have you enabled this within the Client Event wizard?  There is a page called "Event Notification Settings" with a single check box on it.  This has changed from K2.net 2003.  This will send a task nnotification  email with the proper client event URL on it.

If you have selected this and emails are still not being sent, I would enable logging on the K2 server to see if any emrror messages are happening.  The task notifications are now asynchronous from the process execution so it is possible for there to be an error with the task notification email and have the process be in an active (non-error) state. This was not the case in K2 2003.

HTH.

Badge +5

Hi Bob,

Event Notification Settings box is ticked but nothing happens.

I enabled logging but it seems to me that there is no error in the log file.

Is the Event Notification linked to the Event bus ? (msmq ?)

I've setup MSMQ, and I see messages appearing in the queue.

However, when I click on anything of Notification Events in the workspace, the page keeps loading (ajax wheel), but never finishes.

Nicolas

Badge +11

Hi Nicolas,

Yes, the Event Notification IS linked to the Eventbus and MSMQ

To get past the Ajax wheel spinning, try to disable the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration by:

- Go to Add/remove programs
- Click on Add/remove Windows components
- Click the check mark next to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration (to make it unchecked).
- Press Next, and let it finish

HTH,

Ockert

Badge +5

Hi Ockert, the Ajax wheel remains spinning :-)

I've taken a closer look to the event log: the following lines appear: I don't know if these entries appear when the Activity tries to send a notification, or when I try to access the notification designer in the Workspace.

"566092","2007-11-05 04:53:02","Info","EventBus","7019","Processing","EventQueueProcessing.Process","7019 Processing event instance with ID: 15","anonymous","0.0.0.0","MyK2Server","566092","4c9eff804c314cd183dbf7b2ca9268a5",""

"566093","2007-11-05 04:53:02","Error","EventBus","7008","Processing","EventQueueProcessing.ExecutePolicy","7008 The following error occurred while executing policy for CustomEventInstanceID: 15 : Invalid key name in connection string: port.","anonymous","0.0.0.0","MyK2Server","566093","bd2c8c54ed9a41deacaf0414c1fb8e2a",""

"566094","2007-11-05 04:53:02","Error","EventBus","7498","General","EventQueueProcessing.Process","7498 An error has occurred: System.Exception: Invalid key name in connection string: port
   at SourceCode.EventBus.Server.EventQueueProcessing.ExecutePolicy(Int32 CustomEventInstanceID, Int32 CustomEventID, ResolvedPolicyMapping resolvedPolicyMapping)
   at SourceCode.EventBus.Server.EventQueueProcessing.ProcessEvent(Int32 ID)","anonymous","0.0.0.0","MyK2Server","566094","e666b9577af94631900a4af4748a94df","
Badge +6

Hi Nicolas,

The problem is probably caused by a reconfigure script in the Eventbus Database, which updated the connection strings for a function to be executed. Originally, part of the connection string will looked as follows: “Port=5555”. After the reconfiguration it now looks like: “port=5555”. The lowercase “p” in port is what breaks when trying to connect to the host server.

Currently for a workaround, you need to update the “p” in “port” back to a capital “P”. These connection strings are located in the “Eventbus” Database, in the “EventPolicyMapping” table in the “sfConnectionString” column.

Restart the serrvice and see if the errors disappear.

HTH

Badge +5

Any help on the Ajax wheel that keeps spinning in the Workspace when trying to open Notification Event Designer or Custom Event Designer ?

I restarted all servers involved, tried to open the pages with another client machine, but nothing helps.

What exactly tries the page to do when opening ?

It's my only open issue remaining with my BlackPearl Development environment :-)

Thanks,

Nicolas

Badge +4

Hi Nicolas,

Does it use IE 6 or 7?

I found this thread that may be useful:

http://k2underground.com/forums/thread/19943.aspx

Regards,

Badge +11

I have another potential solution for the endlessly spinning AJAX wheel.  This case happens when you have a load balanced server farm.  You might see an error like 'CryptographicException.  Padding is invalid and cannot be removed' in the event viewer of the web server.

The NLB for the web server farm needs to have port 80 set to have single affinity, so that all requests from the same client IP are directed to the same web server.  Another approach would be to set up all servers in the farm with the same encryption key and connect to a session state server.

When ASP.NET generates the view state, it hashes it with an encryption key to prevent spoofing.   Without affinity, any client HTTP request will be directed to a random server.  The view state hash won’t match, causing the crypto error.

Badge +2

Hi all, I am using k2 plackpearl sp1 and MOSS on the same machine,and I am facing the same  above issue,

I have checked the "would you like to send mail notification..." checkbox,I recived the task in mytask list but with

no notification mail,and I am sure that MSMQ is installed just fine,no error in event viewer or k2 logs

I workarround this problem by using a mail event after each workflow client,any better solution to this problem ??

please help on this!!

Badge +4
Are you using Exchange, the Email Server that can be installed with win2003, or some other email system as your mailserver? 
Badge +2

icon-quote.gifmattm:
Are you using Exchange, the Email Server that can be installed with win2003, or some other email system as your mailserver? 

Yes I am using Exchange server,mail server is configured and it work, because I can send email using the

mail event wizards.

I am using K2 sp1 with MOSS,and following the sharepoint integrated workflow senario !!

any ideas ?

Badge +2

Still cannot figure out what it is the problem !!

any ideas ?

Badge +9

Just an idea...

- Remove the notification (uncheck the 'send notification' box in the client event definition) and deploy the process.

- Check the 'send notification' box in the client event and redeploy.

- try running it

This will force the recreation of the notification event.

Badge +2
icon-quote.gifBob:

Just an idea...

- Remove the notification (uncheck the 'send notification' box in the client event definition) and deploy the process.

- Check the 'send notification' box in the client event and redeploy.

- try running it

This will force the recreation of the notification event.

I have already tried doing this many times,

Still cannot receive the notification email !!

How do you normally receive the notification email? can anybody post a snapshot here of the notification mail

received when you checked the box "Would you like to send notification email to ..." !!

waiting for your replies :)

Badge +9

Just to check what is the [SMTP] value in the [HostServer].[dbo].[Configuration] table?  Is it pointing to the correct SMTP server?

Also have you tried checking the Exchange Logs to see if the emails are actually getting through (and for some reason not routing to the correct recipient)?

Badge +9
Just another thought... any chance these are getting caught in an email filter or Junk folder?
Badge +2
icon-quote.gifjohnny:

Just to check what is the [SMTP] value in the [HostServer].[dbo].[Configuration] table?  Is it pointing to the correct SMTP server?

Also have you tried checking the Exchange Logs to see if the emails are actually getting through (and for some reason not routing to the correct recipient)?

yes it is pointing to the actual SMTP server name, 

Bob, it is not sent to the jnnk mail or any other folder,it is just being skipped !!

Badge +9
Just a question here, was the email server value changed at some time from the time it was first installed?
Badge +2

icon-quote.gifjohnny:
Just a question here, was the email server value changed at some time from the time it was first installed?

After I install k2 and tried to test the first deployed workflow that is actully send an email to the originator at the first

stage,I found that the whole process stop in the first stage because it cannot send email,after little digging in the workspace

Environement Library I found that SMTP server name is not defined,I define it and write it down and everything goes fine.

I can send emails and the whole process continue to work fine.This is the only case that I play with the enviroment library

feilds and change the email server name.