Common: NewLine is completely ignored by SharePoint

Badge +7

Hi!

The Common: NewLine "Operator" is completely ignored.

I tried Build String:

Reject

{Common:NewLine}

{WorkflowVariable:Comment}

Or I tried:

Create new variable: Multiple Lines of text:

{Common:NewLine}

fberifb

Nothing works! Am I doint something wrong?

Thanks!

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

thzu thzu‌ could you provide a little more detail as to what the issue is you're having?  When you say it's not working, how is it not working?  Where are you looking at the output?  Are you building a string for a notification or something else?  I just ran a quick test and when I used the "Run Now", it showed an extra line.  Are you not seeing that when you try the Run Now?  

Also, just a note but if you hit "Enter" in Build a String, it makes a new line without you needing the NewLine variable. 

Build String

BuildString_RunNow

Badge +7

I did the same thing...197775_pastedImage_1.png

And the results are:197776_pastedImage_2.png

This is soo weird! Why isn't it working? sad.png

Badge +7

& my variable to store in is a multiple lines of text!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

What version of Nintex do you have?  From your screen shot there are spaces between the word "Reject" and your variable, so it looks like it did something.  What is your end goal?  What are you doing with the output of this action?

Badge +7

I have Nintex 2013.
I have a flexi task with this comment field that comes with it.
With a regular expression I delete the time, date, name out of the 'last approval comment' and then save it into a variable.
Then I want to update the item and put the comment into my append only comment column. (otherwise these comments in flexi task go to nowhere).. Maybe there would be a direct way with InfoPath but I hate InfoPath grin.png 
I need the blank line because otherwise the append only text looks very confusing.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

So currently when you update your append only comment column, it doesn't add line breaks, just a single line of text?  Is the append only comment column a multi-line text field?

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

I just ran a test and this is what I see in an append comments field.  The bottom entry was updated by the workflow, and the top 2 I entered manually in the field.  They all look the same.  If you're seeing the same thing, then I think it's working correctly. 

Badge +7

Hi ‌!

Yes its a multiple lines of txt var.
And if I press the 'Execute' button as above it doesn't work (neither in the column). But if this problem does not appear with your SharePoint its probably not easy for you to help grin.png 

Badge +7

I saw a tutorial online:

197918_pastedImage_1.png

I tried the same thing and the result is:

197919_pastedImage_2.png

So it looks like its a problem with my SharePoint. Any idea what to do?

Badge +7

Another question to ‌: have you done this with build string etc. or with a flexi task and last approver comments? If you've done it with the second option can you post your regular expression to get rid of the Name and Date and that kind of stuff that appears in the Last approver comments string? Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Here you go.  I used a single line of text variable and it worked fine.  I used the RegEx .* .*)s to remove the name/date, etc. You may need to reach out to Nintex Support if it's not working in your environment. 

Workflow

Badge

The Sharepoint column you are outputting to should be set to plain text (by default it is set to rich text). Once you do this, Common:NewLine *should* function correctly.

Badge

Hi Everyone, i just found out the solution for this one. using a build string in nintex online. press enter to seperate first row to second row. then go back to the end of first row. then press ctrl + enter. that should do the trick 🙂 cheers.