Keeping data value in K2 vs Application database

• 29 December 2008
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

In our project we wish to use K2 to keep track of order status contained inside a workflow, but the details are maintained by the application itself, for the status field, it will be driven by workflow activities, my question is, can we have K2 mapping that status to a data field in the application's database table? I have heard that we should let K2 handle it in its own structure.

The reason for doing this is to allow the application to read that status without going through K2, and K2 will map the status it maintains to the application's structure.

4 replies

Badge +6

Hi,

SmartObject is obviously your friend :-). You need to look at these feature.

Now, other questions are: does the application database already exist? If yes, what database is used (Oracle, SQL Server)?

Badge +2

Thanks!

I was thinking about SmartObjects but was told that it cannot be done. Would using SmartObjects raise other problems in this approach?

Badge +8

Data can be managed in two ways, you could create smart object and use k2's smartbox db. This way your smart object will be reading and updating smartbox database.

Option number two, you could create your own database and create custom service which is then consumed by smart object. This way you do not need to manage 2 databases,

There are lots of documents on how to use smart objects, custom service. Some very nice videos are available as well on this site.

Badge +9
The only problem using Smart Objects to help manage your data is that you have to take the time to, not only create the smart objects, but consume them in the appropriate place within your processes.  It can add another level of complexity when you are debugging problems, as now you have to be sure you update your smart object whenever the status (or whatever other K2 field) value changes.  I find this approach much simpler than trying to find the field value in K2's structure, and you get the flexibility to add other custom data as well as indexes for performance.