Nintex task gets deleted when workflow ends manually

Badge +6

I have few approver task in my task list. Now, if there is any error, Admin. will ends /terminate the workflow manually. When done, then all task for that item gets deleted from Workflow Task list. Is there any way to restrict this delete? I want all task, so I can resume from this task.

6 replies

Badge +7

Good day Chintan,

You mention that you want to resume from the task but once the workflow is cancelled you can only approve or reject a task (if you manage to keep the task in the list) and the workflow won't be able to continue from this point.  You will have to restart the workflow.  I guess this is also why they designed the Workflow cancel in such a way that it actually goes and cleans the tasklist seeing that it is actually a dead task list.

I'm sure by using the create item option you will be able to manually create tasks in a task list to keep a record of all the tasks but then once again this won't be the task that is linked to the workflow.

Can you explain a bit more around the reason for keeping the tasks in the tasklist?

Badge +6

Hi Francois,

The reason we need to restrict delete from task list is to know the history of previous approvers and their comments, date/time etc. before WF was cancelled/terminated.

I tried giving read permission to  site collector  in WF task list and Full control to list item but tried terminating WF and it did terminate items from task list. Any suggestions?

Badge +7

Hi Chintan,

To be honest, I don't think there is a way of stopping the deletion of the task from happening.  A workaround might be to create a Log-List which will be updated every time something changes.

I know that SharePoint has the ability to have a memo field with append changes option.  So if you create a items per workflow task in the Log-list and just update the comments in this field every time something is changed you should be able to keep the history.  In this list item you might have Task ID from your original list and then the memo field.   you can take the value of the last approver, date and time and comment and add it to a variable and write it in the memo field, i.e. "On 2016/04/26 12:03:45am Joe Bloggs approved a task with comments:  Thanks for the input.  Please continue with the work"  If the field appends this every time you will almost have a log entry per comment per task.

Let me know if you want to explain this in more detail.

Thanks

Francois

Badge +6

Thanks Francois for this approach. However, I need to apply completely new functionality to apply your approach which could be time consuming job at this point. But thanks for it.

Badge +5

I'm having a similar issue.  I have a task assigned to someone that has left the company.  The task did not have delegation checked when it was kicked off, so can't delegate to another person.  I need to have that the task marked as Incomplete for the person that left and a new task created for the new person for Auditing reasons.  What I had to do was create a second workflow.  I first marked the original task as complete, changed the assigned to name, ran the new workflow, which assigned the task the new person, then stop the original workflow (which kept the original task).  I will edit my workflow task to allow delegation which I think will solve this issue next time.

Badge
I am unable to find this functionality in O365 platform. Are you talking about on prem workflows?