Internet Explorer shortcut

• 15 November 2007
  • 10 replies

Badge +3
In K2 .Net 2003 official training courseware, all the tutorials as been setup nicely in the virtual PC environment. I would like to know how to create IE shortcuts (ie. Suzan's Browser, etc.) with Windows user credentials stored in it just like the tutorial so I do not have to login everytime I need to authenticate as a different user.

10 replies

Badge +8

I'm glad you like the VPC ;-)

Use the runas windows utility, so just create a shortcut with the following command:

%windir%system32
unas.exe /user:k2megasuzans /savecred "C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe"

the /savecred tells it to save the password, when you run it the first time, look for a command prompt window where you must type in the password - once off, after that it just launches.

Badge +3
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. I've tried it but it still always prompt me for password whenever I click on the shortcut icon. Did I miss out something?
Badge +8

If you are talking about a windows pop-up dialogue which prompts for password is may be because the site you are openeing is not in the Local Intranet Zone, if it's in the Internet Zone, IE will not send user credentials automatically.

Badge +3

Hi,

Hope you are still around. The pop-up dialogue is the command prompt window. The website I am browsing to is an Intranet application; anyway, I have added to the Local Intranet zone just in case.yet, it still does not work. However, I always type http://servername/applicationname in the browser instead of http://xxx.com/applicationname. Could that be a problem?

I realise that because if I use http://xxx.com/applicationname, K2 (located in another server) cannot recognizer the logon user's credentials.

Badge +8

very strange, if the command prompt pops up, the url shouldn't be the problem then.

I just want to confirm that you use the /savecred switch with runas? If you do maybe you can clear the saved passwords and try again.

Badge +3

Yes, I did. Maybe I'll state down the steps I have taken to create the shortcut.

1. On desktop (login with my own user account), right-click New > Shortcut

2. Create shortcut wizard dialogue pops up. In the 'Type the location of the item:' textfield, I copied and pasted the following with xyz as the user id whom I want to create the shortcut to runas:

%windir%system32
unas.exe /user:myDomainxyz /savecred "C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore.exe"

3. Click 'Next' and 'Finished'

4. Double-click on the newly-created shorcut; a command prompt window pops-up with the following statement:

"Attempting to start C:Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplorer.exe as user "myDomainxyz" ... Enter the password for myDomainxyz: _

5. Type in the password and IE opens with xyz user logon.

6. Close browser and double-click on the shortcut again. Same command prompt window pops up asking for my password.

Badge +3

I wonder what did I miss out... Upzzz...

Badge +3
Anyone can assist? Upz...
Badge +9
Try logging in via terminal services as the user and ensure that his user profile is created up front.
Badge +3
Thanks everyone for the help. Check with my infrastructure team and it seems our PCs are configured such that we cannot store user names and passwords in it. Anywhere, good knowledge for me.