Run If - basic parameters

Badge +6

I have a workflow where i am trying to set up a triple level authorisation. This is the workflow at present: Most of the following questions are for the right hand branch

198625_pastedImage_5.png

Level one - is the job request outside office hours? For this i have set up a yes/no on my form/list. I have also put a "set a condition" action on my workflow asking this question.

Second level. If the answer is NO then is the job £2500 or more? I have set a Run If Box for this:

198622_pastedImage_2.png

Third level. If the answer is yes then is the job £8000 or more? I have set a Run If box for this:

198623_pastedImage_3.png

I have columns in my list that have the values of £2500 & £8000 by default, the idea being that i can change the default value "on the fly" without having to worry about any other areas.

The problem i have is that the managers - the right hand side of the workflow - are getting email notifications regardless of the fact that it might not require authorisation (IE is it inside office hours & Under £2500 OR it is outside office hours but LESS THAN £8000)

I am not entirely sure what the resolution is to this. I am certain it is a simple thing but cannot fathom how to fix it.

I should mention that the left branch are required to authorise every document.

It is only those that are either inside office hours but over £2500 or outside office hours Over £8000 that require the extra managers authorisation in order to proceed to the next step.

Can anyone spot what i am missing or doing wrong?

29 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

One other question.  I noticed you are doing the comparison in your Run If to a value called "PGM Value of £8000".  I'm assuming that is a variable you setup.  Is that correct?  How is that setup?

Badge +6

One other thing i have noticed. There are three following sections after this first one - all of which are working fine. The section after this one requires three approvals from three different areas. 

Designed to be this way (by accident!), the section will only move on to the next AFTER all of the three areas have offered their approval.

This problematic first section will allow me to move on in all scenarios (i know as i have tried them all!) regarding office hours & values.

What it MUST do is NOT move on IF a managers authorisation is required.

I dunno if this is a clue as to why i am having so much trouble de-bugging this?......

Badge +6

Hi All

I have managed to work out how to resolve this prolonged issue. I stumbled across it by trial and error.

In short i removed the "condition" as this simply didn't work. At one point it actually lost data in one of the pull down menus & forced me to replace it with a new one. The new one didn't work either but it got me thinking that i should re-think.

So this is what i did:

199466_pastedImage_1.png

I replaced the condition with a run parallel actions & then added an "and" statement into the run if statement:

199467_pastedImage_2.png

I did one for each side & also changed the value to a written figure of either 2500 or 8000 rather than referring to a column in my list.

Voila! it works!

When i run a test it seems to work fine. I did also establish that the Run If / AND statements need to be the right way round - IE outside office hours first & Value second. Logical really but it doesn't work if you reverse the order.

If anyone has an opinion on this approach & its possible pitfalls please let me know.....

All this does beg the question - why didn't the "condition" box work? Also why did the box actually fail & needed replacing? I will ask Nintex support for their opinion as it could be a local issue - I recently upgraded to Office 2016 & it has brought my work PC to its knees. For the time being i am also using sharepoint 2010 which will be upgraded sooner rather than later but i suspect the mixture of new & old software versions is causing many issues.

Thanks all for your unfailing support - onto the next issue!

Pete

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi Peter, glad to know you've been able to solve your issues!!

If I was you, I'll surely contact Nintex support to know about ordering the conditions because, if you have just the two you've mentioned the order shouldn't count (in logics (A and/or B) is equal to (B and/or A))..if you have also additional conditions, that the order could have some impacts because there are no brackets (unfortunately) so it's not possible to give priority to condition evaluation..