Nintex Workflow : Servers Architecture

• 9 December 2015
  • 7 replies

Badge +4

Hi everybody,

We have a question about our environment. We have a lot of issues with timer jobs and we don't know if the infrastructure is correct:

- We have two front end with Nintex workflow licences

- We have two back end without Nintex licences

We need to reboot several times a day the 4 timer jobs.

Is it related to our licensing? Is that our four servers should be licensing?

Thank you for your informations

7 replies

Badge +4

Hi,

Timer jobs are quickly overwhelmed and we do wonder if the two timer jobs on back ends with no licenses are not the cause...

Badge +6

As far as I know you only need to license the WFE servers not the backend App servers. What exactly do you mean by overwhelmed? Do the timer job services spike CPU and RAM usage, or they constantly stop and need to be manually started?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It definitely isn't related to licensing, but can you provide more detail to what causes you to reboot the servers because of timer jobs? And what timer jobs are you focusing on? We also have a lot of content on timer jobs that could help, but please respond with some feedback on your issue.

Workflows not continuing - Timer Service and Delays

Tracking and Resolving Stuck Workflow Timer Jobs

Optimizing timeout settings: SharePoint timer service

Badge +4

they constantly stop and need to be manually started. We have twenty solutions with each one several workflows, so there is a lot of workflows for timer jobs, maybe too much...

Badge +4

Thank you for these content (we don't reboot servers but only timer jobs and service SPTimerV4).

Regarding the first article, indeed the best practice that we apply is no Pause, no Wait for item update.

As I said previously, maybe we have too much works for timer jobs with all our solutions for this infrastructure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You should have no problem with hundreds to a thousand of workflows PER site collection daily. So there is definitely something going on in the environment outside of nintex. Can you explain again the number and roles of the servers in the farm. How much RAM. How many site collections, and do those site collections have their own content databases?

Badge +4

I don't work anymore for this client so I can't investigate more on this issue. Thanks for your help!