I made a custom workflow action which did not work. Now something else is happening when I try to build other workflows.  When we try to publish a workflow (that isn't even accessing that custom activity), I get a pop-up stating:     "Server was unable to

Document created by nintexsupport Support on Dec 24, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Summary:

I made a custom workflow action which did not work. Now something else is happening when I try to build other workflows.  When we try to publish a workflow (that isn't even accessing that custom activity), I get a pop-up stating:     "Server was unable to process request. --> Validating workflow failed. There is a reference in web.config to an activity assembly that does not exist in the GAC. Please check this reference is correct or reinstall the assembly if has been removed.  The assembly is..."    I'd like to remove all references to the custom activity, how do I go about this?

Product:

All Workflow for SharePoint on-premises

Answer/Solution:

To use an action, it is registered in the web.config file. When a workflow is published into SharePoint, SharePoint checks the validity of every action in web.config, even if it is not used in the current workflow.     You can follow these instructions to remove the reference:  * Make a copy of the web.config for bacup, just in case. * Open up Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager, connect to your SharePoint server  * Expand Web Sites  * Right click on the web site representing your SharePoint site and choose Explore  * Find the file called web.config and open it in Notepad  * Find the section for authorizedTypes, it is probably near the bottom  * There will be a line entry for the custom activity. Remove that line item (being careful not to delete any other content)  * Save the file    Workflows should now save.

Attachments

Outcomes