When I attempt to create or edit workflows an error shows on the page that says 'You have not been allowed as a workflow designer on this teamsite. Contact your system administrator for access. However, I have 'Full Control' access to the site - what is w

Document created by nintexsupport Support on Dec 24, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Summary:

When I attempt to create or edit workflows an error shows on the page that says 'You have not been allowed as a workflow designer on this teamsite. Contact your system administrator for access. However, I have 'Full Control' access to the site - what is wrong?

Product:

All Workflow for SharePoint on-premises

Answer/Solution:

This is a known permissions quirk with SharePoint 2007 workflows created using either Nintex Workflow or SharePoint designer.  There is a Workflows list which is used to hold all defined workflows for a team site.  Upon creating your first workflow in SPD or activating the NW 2007 feature, this list is given unique permissions, copying those currently given to the team site.  As a result, the only people who will be able to modify permissions on this list are site owners or those who were given explicit 'Full Control' access before the list was created.  To add/remove users as designers, the user assigning the permissions must be a site owner or have Full Control access to the Workflows list.  Therefore we have exposed the list through the user interface to work around the problem.    To add a user or group to the workflow designers group you will require Site Administrator rights.    Activate the "Site Actions" button's drop down then select "Site Settings". In the Nintex Workflow section, click the link "Allowed workflow designers".    From the permissions page below the members can be maintained by adding them in the standard SharePoint manner. Please ensure that users who require full access to the designer have "Full Control" set as their permissions.  

Attachments

Outcomes