In this article, we look at the following:
- Activating the SharePoint "Document Sets" feature for the Site Collection
- Configuring a Document Library to use Document Sets
- Using the Document Set workflow actions
What are Document Sets?
Document sets is a feature introduced in SharePoint 2010, and is also available in SharePoint 2013. Document Sets enable an organization to manage a single deliverable, or work product, which can include multiple documents or files. A Document Set is a special kind of folder that combines unique Document Set attributes, the attributes and behavior of folders and documents, and provides a user interface (UI), metadata, and object model elements to help manage all aspects of the work product.
Nintex Workflow and Document Set Workflow Actions
Nintex Workflow 2013 and 2010 supports setting workflows on Document Sets and items within the document set. When setting a workflow for a document set, there are three workflow actions which are specific to document sets which can be used for workflows that are set for a document set.
Capture Document Set Version: Saves a version of the current properties and documents in a document set.
Send Document Set to Repository: Used to specify by what method and to which repository or records center a document set is sent.
Set Document Set Approval Status: Used by the workflow to update the built-in SharePoint approval status of the document set.
Activating the Document Sets Feature
- Navigate to the top level site of the site collection.
- Click on the Settings Icon, and then Site Settings.
- Click on Site Collection Features, in the Site Collection Administration section. Locate Document Sets and click on the the Activate button. The Document Set content type can now be used in the Site Collection.
Configuring Document Sets for a Document Library
Whenever you want to use Document Sets, you will need to add the Document Set content type to the document library.
In a document library, click on the Library tab. In the Ribbon, select Library Settings and then Advanced Settings. In the Allow the management of content types field, select Yes.
Click Ok. On the Document Library Settings page, navigate to the Content Types section. Click on Add from existing site content types. In the Add Content Types page, select Document Set Content Types.
Return to the document library. In the Ribbon, select the Files tab. In the New Document drop down list, you will find the Document Set option. When you click on Document Set, enter a name for your document set, and a description is you wish. Click the Ok button.
Create a Workflow on a Document Set
- Navigate to the document library which the document set content type has been enabled.
- Create a new document set, and add items (e.g. Word Documents, Excel spreadsheets, PDF documents etc) to the document set.
- Navigate to the document library, and you should see the document set you've just created.
- In the document library Ribbon, click on the Library tab, and then select Create a Workflow in Nintex Workflow in the Workflow Settings drop down.
- Drag and drop the Capture document set version workflow action onto the canvas.
- Once you've completed designing your workflow, Save and Publish.
- Return to the Document Library. Select the Document Set, and in the Document tab, click on Workflows.
- Click on the saved Workflow, and then click on Start to begin the workflow.