I Recently had a request to get a Project Manager name that is linked to a project when the user selects a project number from a drop-down control.
I managed to get the Project managers name using this formula : lookup("Project List", "Project_x0020_Number", parseLookup(Project), "Project_x0020_Manager"). The only issue was I was also getting the ID along with the name. e.g. 234;#Joe Soap.
So, to fix this I used a regular expression to remove the ID from the front of the Project Managers name.
Steps I took:
1. I created a Form Variable. The formula I used to get the project managers name is : lookup("Project List", "Project_x0020_Number", parseLookup(Project), "Project_x0020_Manager")
"Project List" - is the name of the list that has the project number and project managers name in it.
"Project_x0020_Number" - is the Project number for the Project.
"Project" is the name of my drop down control that displays the list of Project numbers in it.
"Project_x0020_Manager" - is the name of the column in the "Project List" list that has the Project managers names in it.
2. I added a Calculated Value control to my Form. I used the regular expression in the formula to remove the characters before the #.
This is the formula : replace(GetPMName, ".*#", "")
"GetPMName" - is the name of the form variable I created that holds the Project manager name with the ID attached to the front. e.g. 234;#Joe Soap.
".*#", "" - is the expression I used. It removes everything before the # and replaces it with a empty string.
End result : Joe Soap.
Hope this helps someone.