In addition to creating one to one mappings of Nintex and SharePoint content databases (Covered here: https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1092). Workflow history lists can be created on a one to one basis for each workflow in the environment using the below steps:
- Navigate to Site Settings \ Nintex Workflow \ Manage workflow history lists. Click New from the ribbon and name the new History List something meaningful like the workflow name and history list. Example: ‘My Approval Workflow History List’
- Open the Nintex Workflow Designer and click Workflow Settings. Select the new history list from Workflow Options and click save.
When you publish/re-publish your workflow all new instances of that workflow will use the newly provisioned workflow history list.
Typically we start to see performance degradation when a Workflow History list reaches 2,000 – 4,000~ list items. Even if performance is not noticeably impacted by Workflow History list size, better performance can be achieved by keeping this list size minimal.
When a list has grown too large two approaches can be taken to address the situation:
- Purge the history list data. This can either be done manually or by utilizing our NWAdmin tool with the PurgeHistoryListData operation. More documentation here: https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1026
- A new history list can be provisioned and the workflows utilizing the history list can be republished using the newly provisioned history list. Note: Existing workflow instances will complete using the old history list.
To locate existing workflow history lists in a SharePoint farm, this PowerShell script can be utilized: How to quickly identify large lists in SharePoint
- Not all workflows may require a separate history list. If a workflow is seldom ran, or if it does not contain actions that log heavily to the history list, they can likely be left to use a shared history list.
- If a workflow contains any loop logic (loop/for-each/state machines) consider leaving out actions such as ‘Log to History List’ as they can quickly fill a workflow history list if left unchecked.
- Utilize the History list during the development and testing stages of your workflow and remove or disable them prior to production release.