Solved

Upgrading to Cloud "Assign a Task" Task Form to update SP list

• 24 October 2022
  • 1 reply

I'm upgrading a 365 workflow to Nintex Cloud that used Assign a Task's Task Form to send an email to the assignee. The email links to the Task Form for the assignee to complete, which included updating a multi-line text field connected to a list item. In my example (screenshots below), the list item to be updated by the assignee is "Font Storage Location". In 365, the assignee was able to enter in the text in the multi-line text box, and it would update the list item "Font Storage Location".

After upgrading to Cloud the same task form appears to be prohibited from connecting to list items, so updating via a form seems to be a lost function. When I try to change the textbox to "no" for read only, I get the message "You cannot edit this field because the value is associated with a workflow outcome, start event, or user-defined variable". "Font Storage Location" is a Start Variable, so is it just impossible to use Task Forms or anything similar to achieve the function 365 could do? Or is there a work around or a way to make the variable editable via task forms? Below is a screenshot showing the 365 Assign a Task's task from vs Cloud Assign a Task's task form, as well as the SharePoint list for reference.

26875i6C74981F61B6C16B.jpg

icon

Best answer by shansonler 24 October 2022, 22:10

View original

1 reply

Working on this more I have made a functional work around.

1. Within the Assign a Task's Task form: I added a General Text-Short field to my form. I named it "VAR Font Storage Location".

2. Still in the Task Form editor: I went to the Variables tab to "Add form variable". I looked up and found the field I added named "VAR Font Storage Location" an option, which I inserted as the value. I named this new variable "VAR Font Storage Location form". I applied the changes to the task form before closing it.

3. Ater the Assign a Task action I added an "Update items" Action to update my SharePointlist item "Font Storage Location" to equal the form variable I made "VAR Font Storage Location form". So when the assignee enters data into the form field named "VAR Font Storage Location" the form variable "VAR Font Storage Location form" stores that data, which then is used to update the SharePoint item.

This seems a little clunky when compared to the more streamlined 365 workflow I upgraded from, but it works. If anyone knows of a more elegant method, I'd appreciate the shared knowledge. Otherwise I hope my work around is of use to anyone attempting this.