Solved

Error: Set next stage must not be the same as the current stage.

• 18 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Dear Folks,

We have an Automation cloud workflow which has stages. Towards end of each stage, we are correctly changing to Exit or whichever relevant. However after the workflow is complete we get the below error.

The specified Set next stage must not be the same as the current stage. [Error Code: StateMachine.InvalidTransition]

We are sure the initial stage is different from current stage but still it happens. Anyone faced this issue?

Thanks

Aravind

icon

Best answer by Garrett 22 May 2023, 02:50

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @boslay.aravind 

Pls check your all the Change Stage - There is at least one branch which change stage is being set to itself. This is to prevent an Infinite loop from occurring.

In the diagram below, if the stage “Branch 2” is entered, it will cause a workflow failure

Badge +2

Hi @Garrett ,

Thanks much for your reply. I had been browsing through the workflow many times to see if I can find any such instance, but couldnt find any. I am attaching the screenshot of the error as well as the final steps of one of the instances of the workflow (I can confirm all the 41 steps are green and completed). If you see, the workflow goes through, completes all the steps and exits and then throws the error. Any pointers?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @boslay.aravind 

Item 34 → Change Stage action to “Level 2”
Item 35 → Enter “Level 2” branch

Item 41 is not the actual Workflow Exit. Its the name of Change Stage action which has been labelled as “Exit”. Pls check that Change Stage settings. 

Look in the Level 2 branch. Check all the Change Stage in that branch 

Can you check the “Exit” Change Stage settings? What is the next stage settings? To Exit or back to Level 2. 

Badge +2

Hi @Garrett ,

Kindly find attached the screenshot below of the Exit block. I believe its correctly configured.

Thanks, Aravind

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

@boslay.aravind 

You’re right. The change Stage does state to go to Exit. This should not cause the workflow failure.

Your best action is to create a support ticket to Nintex Support. This seems like abnormal behavior for NAC

Badge +2

@Garrett  - Thanks a lot for your time and advice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @boslay.aravind 

this can sometime happen if a change stage is copied or dragged in from another state machine. 

try deleting the action all together and adding in a new one, if it doesn’t work I would create a new state machine and new change stage actions and move everything else. 

hope this helps 

Badge +2

@Jake  - Thanks for the insight. Will try that as well.