Solved

Assign a task to multiple users using distribution email group

Badge +4

Is it possible to assign a task to multiple users utilizing a distribution email group? I got it to work with disabling assignee authentication, however the workflow needs to return who completed the task to utilize the Get user Details action for Active Directory. If I disable the assignee authentication then i get an errors on the user details action.  If I enable it the task fails to initiate.

23363i7468281FB5879963.png

icon

Best answer by Frankie 3 June 2022, 17:55

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Using a distribution email group isn't supported. Best to use the Assign a task to multiple users action.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi i am wondering if we could assign a task to a group set up in NWC? it seems not possible at the moment. Thanks.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@mjliu 

No you can't use an NWC group.

You can use an action to get the members of an Azure AD group or a SharePoint online group if you use that.

Azure Active Directory - Get members of an Azure Active Directory group (nintex.com)

In the output for these actions is a collection of just email addresses. You should be able to use that in the Assign a Task to Multiple users assignees.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thank you for the quick reply. So I could use assign a task to multiple users with an AD existed distribution list and anyone in that distribution list can complete the task, is that correct?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

@mjliu 

There are a few different types of groups in Azure AD.

(security, mail-enabled security, distribution list and Office 365 group).

I would probably use security or mail-enabled security group.

Take a read of the help article I linked there are some notes about only displaying security group, however distribution lists are supported just have to use a variable.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Thanks vm.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi can i pls have a follow-up question? In order to retrieve a email group from Azure AD and assign tasks, i would need to use get user from Azure AD correct? If not, how can i get it by creating a group in Nintex only?

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

No need to use 'get user'

You should be able to just use the 'Get members of an Azure Active Directory group' action.

Azure Active Directory - Get members of an Azure Active Directory group (nintex.com) 

When you use this action give it the name of the AD group you are after.

Create a collection variable and assign that to the 'Store member emails'

You can then use that collection variable in your assignees in the Assign a task to multiple users.

The only thing you can use Nintex groups for are assigning permissions to workflows, data sources, etc. You cannot use a Nintex group for assigning tasks.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Hi Gavin, thanks for your reply. I tried this before but it seems I can only retrieve security group from AD, not distro list, hence not able to extract the emails of the exact users i want. Please let me know if i missed anything here. Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +12

See the red note from the help page:

Important:  Only Security group type Azure Active Directory groups are shown in the Group name drop-down. The other Azure Active Directory group types are supported and if you want to use a group of a different type, you can insert the group name as a variable.

Try creating a workflow text variable, set the name of your distribution list as the default value for the text variable.

Then insert your variable into the group name field.

Create an output object variable.

In that output object variable you should see the collection for the store member emails.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Thanks Gavin. I noticed the notes as well hence raised the question. I think in order to be able to retrieve the members in the group I still need to have a connection between the group I create and AD right? I am not sure how I could retrieve it if AD can get send me security group, not distro list.
Badge +6

We found the get members from group action was not returning all our AAD groups.  We ended up creating a workflow variable containing the AAD group name, then put the variable into the get members action. This worked… also surprisingly worked for DLs.